20 June 2009

Why I love traffic, seriously!

Sometimes, traffic is overwhelming. Cars get friendly with my Chevy's tail bone, a driver turns left at the most inconvenient time, a truck blinks its four-ways because it’s oversized and can’t go faster than 20 mph, and I’m late for work.

Watching the light in the distance turn yellow is the most frustrating of all. When that distance is roughly 30 feet and I'm the frontrunner of the traffic pack, I cleave to my brake pedal in anger. It's overwhelming to catch the closing stages of yellow.

But getting to why I love traffic.

I love traffic because I have trained myself to follow the rules of road. I love it because when I look around, so many are frustrated but so many respect the manmade system. Three colors, bold-faced print, and lots of octagons were built to ensure our safety, and we follow them blindly (hopefully not literally) because we recognize the value in keeping to these canons. It's overwhelming (in a good, refreshing way) that we follow symbols, even if we despise them at 7:58 a.m., because it attests to something seriously admirable about humanity.

I've had this theory for a good while. It makes my commute anywhere more meaningful and quainter. Of course I recognize the tragedies that do occur, and the flaws an inanimate symbol system possesses for very animate actors. But at least in my experience, people abide by the system because it not only protects them but it protects others. Recognizing that facet, and choosing to honor the lives of others, even if subconsciously, says something big and worthy about us.

I love traffic because that idea overwhelms and enthralls me. Who would have thought the golden rule carried over to exasperating traffic lines, break slamming, and the obnoxious timing of yellow?

No comments:

Post a Comment